Holes inside a sweet potato


Sweet potato is an often overlooked root vegetable. It’s nutrient-dense, packed with vitamins and minerals, and can be cooked in a variety of ways. But did you know that sweet potatoes also have holes?

These holes, or cavities, are actually a sign of a good sweet potato. They form when the potato is exposed to too much light while it’s growing. The cavities are caused by the breakdown of starch in the sweet potato.

Answers ( 2 )


    When you slice open a sweet potato, you expect to see smooth, orange flesh. But sometimes, you might find strange black holes inside. These holes are caused by a type of bacteria called Erwinia chrysanthemi, and they can make the sweet potato unsafe to eat.

    The bacteria cause a disease called black rot, which can affect both the flesh and the skin of the sweet potato. The holes are actually pockets of decay that form as the bacteria multiply inside the potato. Black rot is most commonly found in stored potatoes that have been damaged or bruised.

    If you find black rot on your sweet potatoes, throw them away immediately. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling them, and sanitize any cutting boards or countertops that they may have touched.


    When it comes to sweet potatoes, many people think of them as a tasty side dish or snack. But what happens when you find holes inside your sweet potato? While this may be alarming at first, there are actually several potential explanations for why these holes can appear.

    For starters, the holes could have been caused by a pest such as an insect or rodent that made its way into the vegetable before storage or harvesting. In some cases, the pests feed on the potato and leave behind small tunnels in their wake. Another explanation is that the sweet potato has gone bad due to improper storage conditions; if left too long in warm temperatures or exposed to moisture they can start to rot which would create small holes and tunnels inside. If you notice large amounts of damage then it’s best to avoid eating it as it could be contaminated with bacteria and cause food poisoning.

Leave an answer